This treatment is no longer performed at VCI. This page is for informational purposes only.
What is rhinophyma?
A bulbous, enlarged or red nose may be a sign of rhinophyma. It is a condition that can be uncomfortable and embarrassing, but readily treated.
While it was once thought that rhinophyma was caused by excessive drinking, it is in fact a form of rosacea.
The condition, which is more common in middle-aged men than in women, alters the size and shape of the nose and thickens the skin. The knobby appearance is due to the growth of the oil-producing sebaceous glands under the skin surface.
How is rhinophyma treated?
In a confidential consultation, we will assess your rhinophyma and come up with a safe and effective rhinophyma treatment. We may use an erbium laser or a CO2 laser or, in severe cases, combine lasers with radiofrequency surgery.
- Work by vapourising excess sebaceous glands to return the nose to its normal shape and size.
- We use local anaesthetic to numb the nose making the procedure comfortable.
- The laser is used to carefully reshape and thin the nose, without affecting the surrounding tissues.
- Works by using high frequency wavelengths, which generate minimal heat to protect surrounding tissues.
- Is a superior and safer solution to scalpels, causing less scarring and greater results.
- We use the Ellman Radiolase to perform radiofrequency surgery.
Am I a suitable candidate?
If you have an enlarged, swollen and ruddy nose which makes you self-conscious or uncomfortable, you may benefit from rhinophyma treatment.
What is the recovery period?
We recommend the open method of post-treatment care. This involves applying Vaseline to the skin and washing your face several times a day.
You’ll need to come back to the clinic every day for 4 to 5 days to check the results and monitor your progress.
You may need to take time off work and refrain from social activities for a short time. Your specialist will advise you on this during your consultation.
What results can I expect?
As with all cosmetic procedures, results tend to vary. However, once the affected area has healed, you can expect a smaller and less conspicuous nose and a significant reduction in rhinophyma.
For a confidential consultation about whether this rhinophyma treatment is right for you, please call us on 1300 863 824