- Liposuction is used to correct disproportionate fat deposits that are genetically acquired and cannot be corrected with diet and exercise alone
- At Victorian Cosmetic Institute, liposuction is performed by a variety of specialist surgeons and doctors, led by the renowned Dr Gavin Chan, founder of VCI. Our surgical team also includes Dr David Topchian.
- Most patients recover in only a few days due to our light touch and specialised procedures.
- A complete range of advanced procedure options are available providing the fastest possible recovery.
Our Melbourne-based liposuction team of Dr. Gavin Chan and Dr David Topchian offer advanced rapid-recovery liposuction at Victorian Cosmetic Institute’s special-purpose Melbourne clinic. Our surgeons have a combined total or 45 years’ experience with thousands of surgical cases between them. They are specialists in their areas of surgery, pioneering new techniques and utilising the latest technologies.
- The timing of liposuction needs to be considered on an individual basis depending on current weight, planned weight loss, and pregnancies.
- A consultation with our doctor is required to ascertain your fitness and suitability for the procedure, and for you to discuss your needs and concerns
- Liposuction involves the infiltration of very dilute local anaesthetic solution into the treatment area first. This allows the area to be numbed so that a cannula can pass through the area to remove the fat.
- There are a variety of types of liposuction available including power liposuction, laser liposuction, ultrasonic liposuction, and water-jet assisted liposuction.
- A compression garment needs to be worn post procedure
- As with all surgical procedures, there are risks and complications associated with liposuction, however, overall it is a very safe and effective procedure.
What is Liposuction?
Liposuction is a safe and effective method of reducing fat deposits from areas of the body. It is also commonly known as liposculpture, lipoplasty, liposelection, suction lipectomy or just simply ‘lipo’.
Genetically, we are predisposed to having certain areas of the body accumulate fat. These areas are disproportionate to the rest of the body, and these disproportions cannot be corrected with diet and exercise alone. Furthermore, these disproportions occur in people of all sizes. This can sometimes be noticed in the mismatch of clothing sizes from top to bottom for example. Areas that accumulate fat can cause a unevenness or disruption in the smooth lines of the body or its silhouette.
Men and women accumulate fat in different areas. Whilst men tend to accumulate fat in the chin, chest, abdomen, and hips, women tend to accumulate fat in the abdomen, hips, waist, thighs, arms and back.
Liposuction can be performed on almost any area of the body from the face to the ankles. In most cases, it is not intended as a means of weight loss or generalised fat reduction. Liposuction is instead a means of reshaping the body to give it more balanced proportions and a smooth silhouette. The results gained are permanent, and the area(s) treated will remain the same size if your weight remains stable. If weight gain does occur, the treated area(s) will not increase in size as quickly as it normally would, as fewer fat cells remain in that area.
It is possible to perform the procedure on one area or multiple areas. It can be done with a general anaesthetic or ‘twilight’ sedation or even awake. Most importantly, with today’s methods, it is a very safe and effective procedure.