Waiting at the make up counter, you look at the range of bronzers and mineral blushes. A few years ago you always used blushes and bronzers to highlight your cheeks. Maybe it’s time to shake up your make up routine and start highlighting your cheeks again!
When the beauty specialist comes over, she shows you how to apply the bronzer and mineral blushes on the cheek area. Looking in the mirror, she compliments you on your radiant glow. With more colour on your cheek area, you certainly look healthier. But your cheeks seem to be flatter than you remember and your face looks older. Sensing your apprehension, the beauty specialist asks what’s wrong, “I just want to look and feel younger…if only my cheeks weren’t so flat!”
And that’s when she tells you about dermal fillers and how effective they are at enhancing and highlighting the cheeks. Cheek dermal fillers are a non-surgical procedure that balances out your mid-face and improve your facial proportions – all in one visit.
Why do cheeks need dermal filler enhancement?
During the normal ageing process, your body produces less elastin and collagen. The decreased production of these substances results in less volume in your face. Dermal fillers can be used to add volume to these areas – including your cheeks!
While some people have full cheeks, due to genetics other people may have less developed cheeks. Dermal filler can improve and enhance your cheek areas including:
- The shape of your cheeks: The volume of dermal fillers you need in your cheeks will depend on your anatomy and the types of improvements you would like.
- The size of your cheeks: If you have under developed or flat looking cheeks, dermal fillers can enlarge them.
- The skin of your cheeks: Having dermal fillers in your cheeks can improve the tone and texture of your skin.
- The structural support of your cheeks: During the natural ageing process, the structural support for your cheeks decreases. Dermal filler injections add volume and improve the structural support.
- The symmetry of your cheeks: If you have asymmetrical cheeks, we can use dermal fillers to even out your cheek volume and shape.
As part of the ageing process, your face volume will decrease. Folds and wrinkles will also start to form. When we restore volume to your cheeks using dermal filler injections, we add your cheek volume back. Find out more about facial volume loss during the ageing process here
During your chin enhancement treatment with dermal fillers, we can also address the area of folds and creases where your cheeks meet your nose – the nasolabial folds. Using dermal fillers in the nasolabial fold area will also restore cheek volume to your upper cheeks.
Dermal filler injections enhance and add volume to your cheeks and are made from a clear gel substance that is naturally found in your skin, hyaluronic acid. When the hyaluronic acid fills your space of volume loss, it improves your folds and wrinkles while attracting water to replenish moisture to the skin.
Thicker dermal fillers are generally used in areas where more volume is needed, including your cheeks and jawline. Finer dermal fillers are used in areas where your skin is fine and smooth (including your eye and temple area area). The best dermal filler to enhance your cheeks will be discussed at your consultation with our highly trained and experienced cosmetic doctors or cosmetic nurses.
What does non-surgical cheek enhancement with dermal fillers feel like?
We’ve been using dermal fillers to restore volume and enhance the cheek area since 2005. At your consultation with our cosmetic doctors or cosmetic nurses they will pay careful and close attention to your ideal cheek size, shape, and structure. The ideal cheek curve is “S” shaped where the peak of your jawline and cheek provide convexities.
Our cosmetic doctors and nurses will also see where the light reflection of your cheeks is strongest. When we enhance and add volume to this area, it will make you look and feel younger.
It’s important to note that cheek enhancement isn’t just about adding volume – it’s about creating balance to your face. We take a less is more approach with cheek dermal fillers. See what our before and after patient cheek filler videos are like here
Many dermal cheek fillers are blended with lignocaine, a local anaesthetic that significantly reduces any amount of pain during your cheek enhancement treatment. The local anaesthetic mildly numbs your dermal filler injection site, so you experience the least amount of discomfort possible. Find out more information about dermal fillers here
We use a needle or a blunt micro-cannula injection technique with cheek dermal filler treatments are performed. This technique using a device called an Accuvein visualises and maps you veins to alleviate the likelihood of bruising with your cheek filler treatment. By doing this we safeguard our patients from getting the least amount of bruising possible.
While many patients report their cheek filler treatment lasts for up to 12 months, the length your cheek filler lasts depends on:
- The placement of the dermal filler,
- The amount and type of dermal filler used, and
- Your age.
How do I look after the dermal fillers in my cheeks?
After you’ve had dermal fillers in your cheeks, you may experience some redness and swelling. You will notice the effect of the dermal filler in your cheeks immediately.
Any swelling you may have in your cheek area will go away after 48 hours. Some patients can experience a small amount of swelling for up to 4 weeks after their dermal filler treatment.
To give your cheeks the best care after you’ve had dermal fillers we suggest that you:
- Avoid wearing make up after your cheek filler treatment. You can resume wearing make up the next day.
- Don’t undertake heavy exercise.
- Avoid going into a spa, sauna or attending a hot yoga class for 1 week after your cheek dermal filler treatment.
- Avoid facial products with lactic or glycolic acid in them for at least 24 hours.
Are there side effects or risks with dermal fillers in my cheeks?
While having dermal filler treatment in your cheeks has very low risks, it’s important to note the following:
- You will have some swelling in the area you’ve had dermal filler injections.
- In some cases, bruising can occur.
- One cheek may look slightly different to the other cheek. This happens with patients who are asymmetrical to begin with.
- While infections are rare, there is always a possibility that a needle into your skin may result in infection happening.
- It’s very rare but blood vessels can get blocked and interfere with the blood supply to your skin. This can result in scarring.
What is the best make up to lift and highlight my cheeks?
Once your cheeks are beautifully enhanced with dermal filler, you’ll want to highlight them. INIKA is a leading make up brand with a range of Australian made organic, natural make up.
You can add a luminous and healthy glow to your enhanced cheeks with INIKA’s award winning light reflect highlighting crème
The all-natural crème is made from natural mineral pigments that are combined with mica. Our patients love how this product brightens skin and capture the light, while giving them a youthful, healthy glow.
INIKA Baked Mineral Illuminisor can give you a soft complexion and iridescent glow to your cheeks. You can wear this over foundation or use it as a bronzer or blush on its own. The light diffusing properties will give you the beautiful, natural radiance you’ve always wanted.
INIKA Mineral Blush Puff Pot is the perfect way to give your cheeks a healthy glow. The highly pigmented minerals are combined in an easy to use, ‘on the go’ application. With 3 shades including Blooming Nude, Peachy Keen and Red Apple, the warm and luscious colours will show off your newly enhanced cheeks perfectly.