Have you ever felt self conscious about having your photo taken because you don’t like the shape of your face? You may have developed a ‘pose’ where you feel confident and happy with how you look, but when the photo is taken at a different angle, it can make you feel upset and embarrassed. You’re not alone feeling like there is only one particular angle that hides your sagging jowls and drooping jawline. A sagging lower face and jowls can make you look sad and negative, even though you feel happy and positive.
During the natural ageing process, jowls can develop and create a heavy look in the lower jaw area. This happens as a result of a loss of elasticity in the skin, loose skin formation and a loss of volume in the lower face. The effect of this can appear from the age of 40, however in some patients it occurs earlier.
How dermal filler can reduce your jowls and create a younger looking face
Cheek jowls dropping down are commonly associated with ageing in the lower half of the face. Jowls form because as you naturally age, the cheeks drop below your jawline. To correct this, a surgical facelift can be performed to lift the cheeks back to their original position and straighten the jawline. However, if you don’t want to have surgery, a very effective non-surgical alternative is to use dermal fillers in the jowl area. When dermal fillers are injected in the areas surrounding your jowls, your jawline straightens and the jowls reduce. The treatment we perform will depend on the underlying cause of your jowl formation. You can view our before and after photos here
What does jowl treatment using dermal filler feel like?
Jowl treatment using dermal filler is a non-surgical procedure however some people have concerns about possible discomfort they may experience. We pride ourselves on using minimal discomfort techniques that include:
- Ice: Because pain and temperature sensation travel along the same nerve pathway, using ice on your skin before your treatment ensures less pain will be felt.
- Vibration: When a vibrating device is used on your skin, nerve pathways that conduct pain become overloaded with vibrations and are unable to pass pain signals to the brain as easily.
- Local anaesthetic cream: Before your treatment, an application of local anaesthetic cream can be applied to your skin to help numb it.
- Inhaled anaesthetic gas: Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) is commonly used for dental procedures or during labour. The effect of the inhaled anaesthetic gases we use tends to wear of quickly without any lingering effects after the procedure is complete.
To further minimise the amount of bruising and swelling from dermal filler treatments, we prefer to use the cannula technique as opposed to the traditional needle technique. Watch Dr Gavin Chan demonstrate the difference between the needle and cannula technique with dermal filler treatments. The cannula technique has the following advantages:
- The round end on the cannulas tip helps to push any important structures away so you get less bruising and reduced swelling.
- A needle can’t discern what it’s going through, and will pierce through anything in the skin or in the subcutaneous tissue. A cannula, allows the doctor or nurse to feel each structure as it passes through. If resistance occurs, an alternative pathway is found. This means you can avoid damage to veins and arteries and will experience much less bruising than a needle.
- Cannulas are longer than needles, which mean the Cosmetic Doctor or Cosmetic Nurse can fill in a number of areas on your face from one single entry point. This results in less bruising and trauma to your skin, with a better and smoother result.
One of the key concerns of people considering dermal filler treatments is bruising that can be hard to conceal and embarrassing. Bruising will occur when a needle disrupts a vein under your skin. However, because facial veins aren’t usually visible to the naked eye, to reduce the likelihood of bruising use the Accuvein Vein Finder. This device allows the Cosmetic Nurse or Cosmetic Doctor to visualise the veins beneath your skin, allowing them to make adjustments to their injection points and to avoid these veins. Watch Dr Toro Ogundoyin use the Accuvein, to map out the veins of the treatment area.
How anti-wrinkle injections can be used to slim the jawline
According to Dr Toro Ogundoyin from Victorian Cosmetic Institute, if you’re not happy with the shape of your face it can be slimmed down with anti-wrinkle injections. When anti-wrinkle injections are used in the masseter muscle (the muscle at your jawline that is used for grinding and chewing) the square jawline can be slimmed down. These treatments also assist patients who experience teeth grinding when they sleep.
Anti-wrinkle injections are based on an inhibitor that relaxes your muscles. The protein triggers the injected facial muscle to smooth out and relax the wrinkles in the treatment area. There are many brands to consider using, however due to Therapeutic Goods Administration rules we’re unable to name them. While some patients see noticeable improvements in the treatment area within a few days, most patients report seeing the best anti-wrinkle results 7-10 days after the treatment.
The best skincare to use after your jowl treatment using dermal filler
After your jowl treatment using dermal filler it’s important to keep your skin hydrated and free from congestion. We suggest you consider using the following skincare. PRESCRIBEDsolutions Urbane Renewal Triple Action Antioxidant Serum is a light serum formulated with a powerhouse of ingredients that repair and protect the skin against free radical damage. The antioxidant rich serum keeps your skin radiant, hydrated and glowing.
Dermaceutic Derma Lift is a powerful anti-ageing serum formulated with peptides, Ceramides and Panthenol. This treatment serum softens the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles while making your skin look and feel smoother, firmer and more youthful.
PCA Intensive Age Refining Treatment is an intensive moisturising treatment formulated to rejuvenate and hydrate ageing skin. With a powerhouse of ingredients including Retinol to increase cell turnover and Niacinamide to reduce age related redness and yellowing, your skin will regain its youthful glow.
Not sure what skincare to use after your non-surgical jowl treatment? Our highly trained and experienced Skin Therapists can help you tailor an effective skincare treatment plan. Call us on 1300 863 824 to book your skin consultation.
The best jowl treatment using dermal filler in Melbourne
Like to reduce your jowls and improve the corners of your mouth but don’t want to have surgery? Since 2005, Dr Gavin Chan and his highly trained and experienced team of Cosmetic Doctors and Cosmetic Nurses have helped thousands of patients reduce their jowls