Have you noticed that your face has more fine lines and wrinkles than a few years ago? From a furrowed brow, to crow’s feet wrinkles around your eyes or a downward facing mouth. While expression lines are important, they can make you look and feel older than you are. As the best non-surgical choice for smoothing out lower, middle and upper face wrinkles and fine lines, anti-wrinkle injections can relax the muscles causing these dynamic lines and reduce your permanent static lines.
Anti-wrinkle injections are made from purified, natural proteins, which are based on an inhibitor that blocks the nerves that cause your facial muscles to contract. When they’re injected into facial muscles that are causing wrinkles, they relax and create a smoother, fresher and younger looking appearance. We can’t give the actual name here due to TGA restrictions.
Why do wrinkles develop on the face?
As part of the natural ageing process, your skin gets thinner, less elastic, drier, and is less able to protect itself from damage. Wrinkles developing on your face are a natural part of this process and are caused by a number of factors including expression lines, gravity, UV exposure and sleep lines.
Expression lines are caused by contraction of the muscles of facial expression. In the first instance, these wrinkles will only be seen when your muscles contract. Over time as your skin gets progressively creased, the lines may frequently appear at rest. Anti-wrinkle injections can effectively treat expression lines.
The long-term effects of gravity leads to your facial skin being pulled downwards. This results in a drooping of your cheeks, a formation of nasolabial lines (the lines from the corners of the mouth to the nose) and jowls, a drooping of your eye skin and the formation of lower and upper lid laxity and wrinkles.
A common cause of premature wrinkles for many people is prolonged UV exposure. Premature ageing caused by UV radiation results in a thinning of the top layer of skin and a breakdown of collagen which results in your skin becoming wrinkled. To prevent premature ageing of your skin, it’s very important to wear a good quality sunscreen everyday.
When your skin gets compressed on your pillow as you sleep, lines can appear. The location of these sleep lines will depend on the underlying anatomical attachments of your superficial musculoaponeurotic system (SMAS). Your pillow contact can put pressure on these attachments and causes sleep lines on your cheeks, around your eyes, the forehead and upper lip.
What’s the difference between dynamic wrinkles and static wrinkles?
Dynamic wrinkles appear as a result of your facial expressions. When you frown the lines between the eyebrows become more obvious and when you smile your eyes may crinkle at the corners. When you’re young the skin will bounce back to its original shape after you make the facial expression. But as you get older the skin may no longer bounce back, resulting in static wrinkles forming.
Static wrinkles are caused by a loss of skin elasticity, fat, collagen and the effects of gravity. These types of wrinkles are evident even when you’re not making a facial expression. If left untreated your static wrinkles will get stronger and more pronounced. Anti-wrinkle injections can relax the muscles causing these dynamic lines and reduce your permanent static lines.
What does it feel like to get anti-wrinkle treatment?
A common concern for people who haven’t had anti-wrinkle treatment before is whether it will be painful or leave bruises. Led by Dr Gavin Chan, our highly trained and experienced Cosmetic Doctors and Cosmetic Nurses use expert techniques to minimise any discomfort including:
- Ice: Temperature and pain sensation travel along the same nerve pathway. Using ice on your skin before your anti-wrinkle injections ensure you will feel minimal pain.
- Inhaled anaesthetic gas: Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) is an inhaled anaesthetic gas that is often used during labour or dental procedures. After your anti-wrinkle treatment has been completed, the effect wears off very quickly with no lingering after effects.
- Local anaesthetic cream: An application of local anaesthetic cream can be applied to your skin to help numb it before your anti-wrinkle injections.
- Vibration: Using a vibrating device on your skin, overloads the nerve pathways so any pain that may be felt is unable to be processed by your brain.
Bruising occurs during anti-wrinkle treatments when a needle disrupts a vein under your skin. All our Cosmetic Doctors and Cosmetic Nurses use an Accuvein Vein Finder to reduce the likelihood of bruising occurring. The hand held device visualises veins beneath your skin, and allows adjustments to be made to injection points to avoid your veins and reduce the risk of bruising.
Why it’s important to use good quality skincare after your anti-wrinkle treatment
After your anti-wrinkle treatment, it’s important to keep your skin nourished, protected and hydrated. One of the best skincare ranges is Aspect Dr, an Australian owned company that formulates clinical skincare to address all skin concerns and conditions. Aspect Dr Age Management Kit uses superior standard ingredients to maintain a youthful glow while revitalising dull, ageing skin. The 4 ingredients in this kit include:
- Deep Clean (30ml): Suitable for all skin types this lactic acid cleanser exfoliates as it deeply cleanses your skin.
- Active C Serum (30ml): With antioxidant protection, this oil soluble Vitamin C hydrates, brightens and calms your skin.
- Exfol A Plus (30ml): This AHA Vitamin A night serum exfoliates, refines and brightens your skin as it deeply delivers nutrients. While this serum is suitable for most skin types, it’s not suitable if you have thin, reactive Rosacea type skin or if you’re pregnant or lactating.
- Resveratrol Moisturiser (15g): This super hydrating, peptide rich antioxidant moisturiser is suitable for dry, dehydrated and ageing skin. Deeply hydrating and nourishing, this emollient moisturiser calms as it gives your skin a youthful glow.
Using the right skincare for your skin type and skin condition will ensure your skin gets the best results possible. If you’re unsure about which skincare to use, book a skin consultation with our highly trained, experienced Skin Therapists. Contact us on 1300 863 824 to book your skin consultation in.
The best Melbourne medical clinic for anti-wrinkle treatments
Since 2005, led by Dr Gavin Chan our team of highly trained and experienced Cosmetic Doctors and Cosmetic Nurses have treated thousands of people with anti-wrinkle treatments. Having anti-wrinkle treatments at a reputable medical clinic that focuses on non-surgical facial rejuvenation ensures you will get the best results. We use a wide range of anti-wrinkle treatments and techniques that focus on creating natural-looking, subtle changes to your face. This delicate approach ensures you will look younger, rested and refreshed; without looking like your face is frozen. You can view our before and after patient photos here
Call us on 1300 863 824 or request a consultation to find out how using the right anti-wrinkle treatment can make you look and feel amazing.