Last updated December 2023
What is Rejuran treatment?
Rejuran is the brand name for a popular treatment that contains Polynucleotides, which are DNA fragments derived from salmon. These Polynucleotides promote skin regeneration, improve elasticity, and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles when injected into the skin. Rejuran injections are often used as part of anti-aging and skin rejuvenation procedures, especially when there will be benefit from additional collagen stimulation in the upper layers of the skin.
Launched in Korea in 2014, Rejuran was exclusively used in Asian countries such as Korea and Singapore, before being approved in Australia in July 2023.
What is in Rejuran?
Rejuran is an injectable product containing Polynucleotides from wild salmon, otherwise known as Sodium DNA. These polynucleotides are short DNA fragments, typically sourced from salmon DNA or other marine organisms. When injected into the skin, they are believed to offer several benefits for skin health and appearance.
Rejuran is injected into the dermis layer of the skin using micro injections to stimulate the fibroblasts to produce collagen.
How does Rejuran work?
From our mid twenties to early thirties, we begin producing less collagen in our skin, leading to signs of ageing. The Polynucleotide in Rejuran stimulates fibroblasts within the skin, resulting in increased collagen production, therefore increasing skin thickness and enhancing skin tightness.
Polynucleotide is also advantageous for the skin by activating anti-inflammatory responses and promoting wound healing, and it promotes wound healing by stimulating the fibroblasts to produce more collagen.
Is Rejuran the same as dermal filler?
Rejuran is an injectable Polynucleotide which stimulates collagen production in the skin. It is very different from dermal fillers which provide volume and fullness.
Unlike dermal fillers that focus on providing volume, Rejuran’s Polynucleotide is specifically formulated to target the stimulation of collagen within the superficial or upper layers of the skin. While dermal fillers enhance facial fullness, Rejuran aims to promote natural collagen production, contributing to skin rejuvenation and a more youthful appearance by addressing visible signs of ageing.
What are the benefits of Rejuran injections?
Rejuran concentrates on stimulating the fibroblasts within the dermal layers of the skin, targeting a layer not otherwise treated with dermal filler, bio-stimulators and bio-remodelling injections.
Fibroblasts produce collagen proteins crucial for sustaining the structural framework of tissues. This results in the following skin benefits:
- Collagen: Activates the skin’s anti-inflammatory and wound-healing processes, encouraging the production of additional collagen and elastin. This, in turn, results in increased skin thickness and enhanced elasticity.
- Hydration: Rejuran comprises a unique combination of concentrated Polynucleotide, amino acids, and hyaluronic acid, working synergistically to fortify the skin barrier function and generate essential proteins crucial for maintaining skin hydration.
- Skin quality: Promotes the synthesis of proteins within the inner layers of the skin, enhancing the skin’s barrier function and leading to improved tone and texture.
Where can Rejuran injections be used?
There are several different formulations of Rejuran available. We use both Rejuran and Rejuran I.
Rather than targeting specific areas such as cheeks, temples or the forehead, Rejuran is best used as a full face treatment. Rejuran is also ideal to be used for treatment of the neck.
Rejuran I is specifically formulated to be used around the under eye area, promoting collagen and addressing fine lines and signs of skin ageing.
Who are Rejuran injections suitable for?
Rejuran is suitable for patients looking to address fine lines and overall skin texture and health. It is especially beneficial for individuals experiencing more noticeable signs of ageing skin, such as the following.
- Fine lines and wrinkles: Used to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, making it suitable for individuals looking to address signs of ageing.
- Uneven skin tone and texture: If you have concerns about uneven skin tone or texture, Rejuran injections may be beneficial in promoting a smoother and more even complexion.
- Loss of elasticity: Individuals experiencing a loss of skin elasticity, which can contribute to sagging or less firm skin, may find Rejuran injections helpful in stimulating collagen production and improving skin tightness.
- Overall skin rejuvenation: Whether you want to enhance the overall quality of your skin or address specific concerns, Rejuran is designed to promote skin regeneration and improve its overall condition.
Rejuran injections may not be suitable in the following circumstances.
- Active skin conditions: Treatment should be avoided in the presence of active skin infections, inflammation, or other skin conditions affecting the treatment area.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: We recommended avoiding the treatment during these periods.
- Autoimmune disorders: Individuals with autoimmune disorders or conditions that affect the immune system may need to exercise caution with Rejuran injections, as the treatment involves stimulating the body’s natural processes.
- Blood disorders: Those with blood clotting disorders or a history of excessive bleeding may not be suitable candidates for Rejuran injections due to the risk of bleeding at the injection sites.
- Recent cosmetic procedures: It is advisable to wait a certain period after undergoing other cosmetic procedures, such as laser treatments or chemical peels, before considering Rejuran injections. This helps minimise the risk of complications.
- Unrealistic expectations: Individuals with unrealistic expectations or those seeking immediate, dramatic results may not be suitable candidates. Rejuran injections provide gradual improvements to skin over time.
A consultation is required to discuss and assess patient suitability for treatment.
What does Rejuran treatment involve?
Patients are requested to arrive at their appointment free of makeup, moisturiser and sunscreen. Upon arrival, patients are prepared for treatment by having pre-treatment photographs taken and a VISIA skin scan is performed to measure the skin’s health and condition. An anaesthetic cream is then applied to the treatment area to make the treatment as comfortable as possible.
Rejuran is administered by the practitioner to the treatment area using micro injections to ensure even distribution within the upper layers of the skin.
Once the treatment has been completed, we request patients book a follow up appointment in 2 to 4 weeks for further photographs and review.
How long does Rejuran treatment take?
The actual procedure is relatively brief, typically lasting between 30 to 60 minutes. However, the total time spent at the clinic will be extended to accommodate additional steps such as photography, VISIA skin scanning, and the application of anaesthetic cream.
What are the risks and side effects of Rejuran injections?
Rejuran injections, like all medical procedures, come with potential risks and side effects. It’s essential to be aware of these considerations before opting for the treatment. Here’s an overview of the associated risks and side effects, as well as guidelines on what to avoid after Rejuran injections.
The risks and side effects associated with Rejuran injections include:
- Lumps or bumps: In most cases, patients develop small lumps or bumps under the skin at the injections site which look like tiny mosquito bites. These usually subside within 24 hours.
- Bruising and swelling: Mild swelling is common, typically resolving within a few days. Whilst we take precautions to avoid bruising, such as using the Accuvein to visualise veins to avoid bruising, it may still occur. If bruising occurs it typically subsides within a few days.
- Infection: While rare, there is a minimal risk of infection at the injection sites. Following proper aftercare instructions, refraining from using skin care for 24 hours following treatment and not touching the treated area can help mitigate this risk.
- Allergic reactions: Although uncommon, allergic reactions to components of Rejuran can occur. It’s crucial to inform the practitioner of any known allergies beforehand.
- Discomfort: Mild discomfort during or after the treatment is possible. It’s advisable to communicate any persistent, severe or escalating pain to your practitioner.
What to avoid after Rejuran
- Excessive sun exposure: Protect the treated areas from prolonged sun exposure to reduce the risk of pigmentation changes. Use sunscreen with high SPF.
- Intense physical activity: Avoid strenuous exercise or activities that may increase blood flow to the treated areas immediately after the procedure.
- Harsh skin care products: Refrain from using harsh or abrasive skin care products on the treated skin, and follow the recommended post-treatment skin care routine provided by your practitioner.
What is the difference between Rejuran, bio-remodelling injections and bio-stimulator injections?
- Composition: Rejuran is composed of Polynucleotides, which are DNA fragments sourced from salmon DNA. These Polynucleotides stimulate collagen production and promote skin rejuvenation.
- Mechanism of action: Rejuran works by activating the skin’s natural regenerative processes within the upper layers of the skin, leading to increased collagen and elastin production.
- Intended outcome: Rejuran is primarily used for skin rejuvenation, addressing issues such as fine lines, wrinkles, and skin texture.
- Composition: Bio-remodelling injections are a hyaluronic acid based treatment, but it is unique as it contains both high and low molecular weight hyaluronic acid. This is known as the hybrid complex.
- Mechanism of action: Bio-remodelling injections diffuses within the skin, hydrating and stimulating the production of collagen and elastin. It aims to provide overall skin improvement and hydration.
- Intended outcome: Bio-remodelling injections are often used for skin laxity and hydration, improving the overall quality of the skin.
- Composition: Bio-stimulator injections are composed of a biodegradable, biocompatible polymer which is TGA approved for skin creases, wrinkles and skin ageing.
- Mechanism of action: Bio-stimulator injections work by stimulating the growth of collagen in the deep layers of the skin, providing a gradual and natural-looking improvement in volume and skin firmness.
- Intended outcome: Bio-stimulator injections are typically used when in addition to collagen production, it is recommended to restore some volume in areas that have experienced age-related volume loss.
- Composition: Rejuran contains Polynucleotides, bio-remodelling injections are based on hyaluronic acid, and bio-remodelling injections are made from a biodegradable, biocompatible polymer.
- Mechanism of action: Rejuran and bio-remodelling injections focus on stimulating collagen and elastin, while bio-remodelling is a collagen stimulator that provides a gradual volumising effect.
- Intended use: Whilst they all stimulate collagen, Rejuran is often used for skin rejuvenation, bio-remodelling injections for overall skin improvement and hydration, and bio-stimulating injections for restoring volume in specific areas.
Are Rejuran injections painful?
Topical anaesthetic cream is applied prior to treatment to numb the area to be treated. Following treatment there may be a little temporary discomfort around the injection sites as the anaesthetic cream wears off.
How long do the results last?
Results can vary from person to person, and factors such as individual skin characteristics, lifestyle, and the specific concerns being addressed can influence the longevity of the effects. However, upon attending their review appointment, many patients report noticing an improvement in their skin quality within weeks.
The collagen stimulation initiated by Rejuran tends to have a gradual and cumulative effect, with optimal results becoming noticeable after a series of sessions.
Depending on the patients age, skin quality and general health, a course of 3 treatments 2 to 3 weeks apart may be recommended. Followed by a treatment every 6-12 months to nurture a healthy skin condition.
Can I combine Rejuran injections with other treatments?
Yes, Rejuran injections can be combined with other treatments, and the decision to do so depends on an individual’s specific goals and the advice of their practitioner. Combining treatments can offer comprehensive and synergistic benefits. Here are some common combinations:
- Anti-wrinkle injections: Combining Rejuran with anti-wrinkle injections is a common approach. While Rejuran works on skin texture and collagen, anti-wrinkle injections target dynamic wrinkles by temporarily relaxing facial muscles.
- Chemical peels: Chemical peels can enhance the exfoliation process and improve the absorption of Rejuran. This treatment combination should be performed a few weeks apart and can be beneficial for addressing uneven skin tone and texture.
- Tixel: Tixel and Rejuran complement each other well. Tixel uses heat to create micro-injuries, stimulating collagen, while Rejuran provides additional support for collagen production and skin rejuvenation.
- IPL treatment: Intense pulsed light (IPL), may be combined with Rejuran to address specific skin concerns such as pigmentation irregularities and sun damage.
How much do Rejuran injections cost?
Rejuran injections are priced per syringe. The price for Rejuran injections can be found on our pricing page.
Is Rejuran the same as anti wrinkle injections?
Rejuran and anti-wrinkle injections are two very different treatments. Rejuran stimulates fibroblasts to produce collagen to improve skin texture, reduce fine lines and skin rejuvenation.
Anti-wrinkle injections temporarily relax muscles to prevent dynamic lines, especially in areas where muscle activity contributes to lines and wrinkles such as forehead, crows feet and frown lines.
How many Rejuran treatments will I need?
The number of Rejuran treatments needed can vary based on individual factors such as the specific skin concerns being addressed, the extent of those concerns, and the desired outcomes. Generally, Rejuran treatments are performed in a series of 3 sessions, spaced 2 to 3 weeks apart, to achieve optimal results.
It’s crucial to follow the guidance of the practitioner providing the treatments and to communicate your goals and expectations during the consultation.
How long until I see results from Rejuran injections?
Generally, it is common for individuals to notice gradual improvements in skin texture and firmness after the first few weeks following Rejuran treatments. However, for optimal and long-lasting results, it’s essential to complete the recommended series of sessions and adhere to any post-treatment care instructions provided by your healthcare professional.
What is the downtime for Rejuran treatment?
The downtime for Rejuran treatment is typically minimal, and many individuals are able to resume their normal activities shortly after the procedure.
Due to there being micro-injection points there may be some minor redness and visible bumps. These usually subside within 24 to 48hrs.
Although rare, there may be some bruising due the puncturing of the skin.
However, the exact duration of downtime can vary among individuals, and it is influenced by factors such as individual skin sensitivity, the specific technique used, and any additional treatments performed simultaneously.
Where to get Rejuran injections in Melbourne?
Victorian Cosmetic Institute has maintained a strict focus on anti-ageing and skin treatments since 2005. Rather than one size fits all, we offer a tailor made approach to cosmetic medical treatments. We pride ourselves on ensuring that all treatments, equipment and products supplied are the safest and most effective available in Australia.
A consultation with our practitioners will assist in identifying the most suitable treatment for your unique aesthetic concerns.
Simply book online or phone our friendly Customer Care team on 1300 863 824 to enquire about your consultation options.