Question about Keloid-and-hypertrophic-scarring: i have a keloid scar growth at the back of q184

Article medically reviewed by Dr. Gavin Chan (MBBS, cosmetic physician, liposuctionist)

Dr. Gavin Chan

Templestowe Lower and Berwick Clinics

Dr. Gavin Chan has a background in intensive care, anaesthesia, and emergency medicine. Since 2004, Dr. Chan has provided cosmetic procedures, including anti-wrinkle injections, dermal fillers, liposuction, fat transfer, skin needling, and laser treatments. He is a doctor trainer for various dermal fillers and anti-wrinkle injections.
Read More


I have a keloid scar growth at the back of my left ear due to a piercing I had done. I had it surgically removed 3 years ago and has grown back. It is now really itchy and is bothering me. What do you think is the best treatment for me?


Itch and pain in a keloid scar often means that it is still very active, and you may require some corticosteroid injections into the scar to settle it down. The problem with excising the scar is that it is likely to grow back (as you have experienced). The way to avoid that is early injection of corticosteroid or ear compression clips post op.  If your scar is very big, it might need surgical excision first before injections.

Dr. Gavin Chan
Dr. Gavin Chan

We're here to help

Our consultants will help you decide which treatment best suits you and your skin conditions/type.

Request a phone call