Question about Keloid-and-hypertrophic-scarring: I have a keloid scare on my right earlobe

Article medically reviewed by Dr. Gavin Chan (MBBS, cosmetic physician, liposuctionist)

Dr. Gavin Chan

Templestowe Lower and Berwick Clinics

Dr. Gavin Chan has a background in intensive care, anaesthesia, and emergency medicine. Since 2004, Dr. Chan has provided cosmetic procedures, including anti-wrinkle injections, dermal fillers, liposuction, fat transfer, skin needling, and laser treatments. He is a doctor trainer for various dermal fillers and anti-wrinkle injections.
Read More


My name is christine im 21 yrs old n I have a keloid scare on my right earlobe. It’s front and back of my ear. It was caused by my ear getting pierced when I was a child. Im really embarrassed about it I don’t even wear my hair up. In 2008 I had surgery to remove it, I was imformed that it will grow back but I thought because it took a while to get to it’s size it would take the same time but I was wrong. It grow back faster and I think a little bit bigger then last time. I want to know what would be the best treatment out there to get rid of it.


Often this type of keloid scar needs to be surgically removed. However, because keloids are such active scars, they often recur post surgery. Therefore, the key is to take measures to prevent this from happening post surgery. Often compression clips are used on the earlobe, or steroid injections are administered post surgery to help prevent recurrence.

Dr. Gavin Chan
Dr. Gavin Chan

We're here to help

Our consultants will help you decide which treatment best suits you and your skin conditions/type.

Request a phone call