Last updated November 2022
What are double chin injections?
Double chin injections or fat-dissolving injections help to reduce fat cells in the neck and help create a more defined jawline. The fat-dissolving injections contain deoxycholic acid and phosphatidylcholine, which cause a reduction of fat cells when injected directly into the area of concern.
The fat cells are permanently destroyed using fat-dissolving injections for double chin removal, making them unable to expand again with weight gain.
What is submental fat?
Excess submental fat is commonly referred to as a ‘double chin’. It is an area of great concern for many of those affected and is often resistant to change despite weight loss. Naturally, genetics plays a significant role in fat deposition in this area. This is exemplified by those who have disproportionate amounts of submental fat despite healthy weight levels.
Fat in this area can contribute to an ill-defined jawline and a blunted angle between the jawline and the neck rather than a more favourable angle of 90 to 100 degrees.
The fat addressed by liposuction or fat-dissolving injections is the pre-platysmal fat. This is the fat that lies superficial to the platysma muscle. This is the large sheet muscle of the neck. The platysma muscle separates this fat from the major blood vessels in the neck and the airway.
What causes double chin fat?
Several factors can contribute to a double chin, including:
- Age – Our skin loses elasticity as we age, and gravity pulls it down. This can cause saggy skin under the chin
- Excess fat – Carrying excess fat can contribute to a double chin but often isn’t the main reason
- Genetics – this is the most significant cause of disproportionate fat distribution in the neck
- Poor posture – Constant slouching can weaken neck and chin muscles and result in a double chin
Fat-dissolving injections can help improve the appearance of a double chin by destroying the fat cells and rendering them unable to store fat. This procedure can remove a double chin without the need for surgery.
How to get rid of a double chin?
The options include;
- Fat-dissolving injections – injecting fat-dissolving injections over several sessions can help to reduce fat in this area.
- Liposuction – a surgical procedure that inserts a cannula (under negative suction pressure) through the fat, entering via small incisions in the skin.
- Cryolipolysis – utilises an applicator to ‘freeze’ the fat and help destroy it through cold temperatures.
What are the benefits of chin fat-dissolving injections?
Fat-dissolving injections can be an option for those who do not wish to have surgery. The main benefits of double chin injections include the following:
- Convenience – The procedure only takes a few minutes, and most patients will require 2-3 treatments.
- Minimal recovery time – Because this procedure is non-invasive, there is not as much downtime, and you may only need 1-2 days off work. Some patients will require up to 1 week off work.
- Effectiveness – Results may be visible after 4-6 weeks after your last treatment
- Professional administration – This treatment is performed by experienced doctors and registered nurses.
How do fat-dissolving injections work?
The injections contain deoxycholic acid and phosphatidylcholine that help to break down fat cells and allow the body to resorb the fat naturally. The fat cells are permanently destroyed through a process known as adipocytolysis, in which the membranes are disrupted, and the cells break down.
Fat Dissolving Injections Vs Liposuction
- Liposuction has traditionally been the treatment for removing fat accumulation in genetically prone areas. It is performed under general anaesthetic or intravenous sedation. Small incisions are made in the skin (usually just under the chin and behind the ears) to allow the administration of local anaesthetic and the removal of fat using a metal cannula. Recovery is typically about a week. Despite the emergence of non-surgical methods for fat reduction, liposuction remains the gold standard. The fat is more efficiently removed rather than relying on the slower process of fat cell destruction with injections. It is also possible with liposuction to measure the exact amount of fat removed. During the procedure, the thickness of the skin and fat can be assessed to see if enough has been removed. With fat-dissolving injections, it is not possible to predetermine the amount of fat that will be removed in each case.
- Fat-dissolving injections provide a non-surgical alternative to liposuction of the neck. They provide a less invasive method of fat removal with no incisions or scars. It can be performed in the medical clinic setting without a general anaesthetic, although a degree of discomfort is involved with the procedure. There is significant swelling after each treatment, which may last a few weeks. Often the swelling is more significant than the swelling experienced with liposuction. The fat-dissolving treatment also needs to be repeated for the best results. Each treatment causes a similar degree of swelling. The results from fat-dissolving injections are typically less dramatic than liposuction.
Am I a suitable candidate for fat-dissolving injections for my double chin?
A double chin can be a significant concern to those affected by this problem. We often see this concern in those who are not overweight, and weight loss does not always improve the problem. Fat in this region tends to blunt the jawline and cause a lack of definition between the face and the neck. Removal of this fat has an anti-ageing effect by improving the framing of the face.
Traditionally, the treatment for a double chin is liposuction. However, many people do not wish to have surgery and prefer a less invasive method of fat removal. Fat-dissolving injections are a viable alternative for those who want to avoid surgery and its associated risks.
The suitability for the procedure is determined by the amount of skin laxity and the amount of fat;
- Generally, these double chin injections are best suited to small or moderate excess fat deposits. For larger deposits of fat, liposuction is a more effective solution.
- It is important to recognise that fat-dissolving injections do not improve loose skin. Skin laxity needs to be addressed with other methods (for example, a surgical neck lift) rather than fat removal alone.
The fat-dissolving injections are, therefore, best suited to those who want to remove smaller pockets of fat and have good-quality skin without significant laxity.
Who is not a suitable candidate for chin fat-dissolving injections?
We do not recommend fat-dissolving injections for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
You will need to inform your doctor about any previous or planned surgeries or cosmetic treatments on your face, neck or chin.
You will also need to let your doctor know about any medical conditions or infections near the area and any medications you’re taking.
Your doctor will let you know if any of these factors render you unsuitable for the treatment or if precautions need to be taken.
Suitability for treatment will be determined during your consultation.
What are the side effects of fat reduction injections?
Side effects from fat reduction injectable treatments are usually mild and will disappear within 30 days. Possible side effects include:
- Swelling – is universal with this treatment and can be reduced by wearing a compression garment afterwards.
- Temporary numbness in the treatment area usually wears off within 30 days.
- Warmth or heat – Many patients will experience warmth under their chin immediately following the procedure, accompanied by redness.
- Firmness – Many patients will feel firmness under their chin after the procedure, which may last several weeks.
- Bruising – Some patients may experience mild bruising after the procedure. This should subside within a few days.
- Itching – Some patients will feel an itching or prickly sensation briefly. If you experience this, do not itch or massage the area.
Rare side effects include weakness of facial muscles and trouble swallowing. This could occur if the injections affect any of the facial nerves. If this does happen, the problem will be temporary and should resolve itself.
How do I prepare for double chin injections?
You do not need any specific preparation before getting double chin injections. You should limit alcohol and anti-inflammatory medication and try to book your appointment when you can leave yourself a few days for recovery. There will be some swelling after the treatment, so this is important to consider if you are in a client-facing job.
Before the procedure, you will have an initial consultation with one of our practitioners to determine whether or not you are a good candidate for the treatment. During this consultation, the practitioner will discuss the possible side effects and the extent of the post-treatment swelling.
What to expect during the treatment
The treatment date should be planned to allow for downtime, mainly due to swelling that will occur.
Your practitioner will reassess your neck just before the procedure to determine the exact locations of the injections. Fat thickness may be measured, and photos will be taken before treatment to help keep track of results.
Fat-dissolving injections are administered through multiple small injections in the treatment area. Your practitioner will mark the place to be treated before treatment. A topical anaesthetic is offered as an option before treatment. Usually, 30 minutes or more is allowed for this to work. Ice can also be applied before each injection for further analgesia. After the injections, an intense burning sensation usually lasts several minutes.
The neck may appear swollen immediately after treatment, and some bleeding or bruising may occur.
Over the next few months, the results from the fat-dissolving injections may be seen. Especially since the swelling subsides and the injections begin to work on the fat cells over time.
The treatment interval should be no less than two months, although it is possible to wait longer without risking the results from the previous treatments.
What can I expect after fat-dissolving injections treatment?
This will depend on the size of the treatment performed. In most cases, there is a significant degree of swelling that lasts from a few days to a few weeks. Swelling will be primarily determined by the amount of product injected. The swelling may also get worse in the days following the procedure. Tenderness of the area treated is also present for that time. In some cases, hard lumps form, which can take time to reduce size. Bruising is also a common side effect and can last up to 2 weeks.
You will be given instructions on how to care for the area after the treatment. You can apply ice for 5 minutes at a time, but it’s better to minimise the use of ice to allow the treatment to work.
This patient underwent two fat-dissolving injection procedures and is now showing good improvement in the jawline and neck.
After three treatments of fat-dissolving injections, this patient’s submental fat measurement was reduced by more than half from 3cm to 1.2cm.
What is the price of chin fat-dissolving injections?
How many treatments will I need?
Most patients will need 2-3 sessions, depending on the amount of fat that needs to be dissolved.
Do the results look natural?
The results are very natural looking because the treatment doesn’t alter facial expressions or affect a person’s natural facial features.
Is there any downtime required after double chin injections?
No downtime is required after double chin injections, but you will experience significant swelling. There may also be bruising in the area treated. You may wish to stay home until the swelling subsides, but you can return to normal daily activities.
When can I see the results from double chin injections?
The fat cells will start to dissolve within 15 minutes after getting the injections. However, the swelling will take at least 3-4 weeks to subside completely. Results will become more apparent in 4 to 6 weeks following your last treatment.
You may need two or more treatments to achieve your desired results.
Why choose Victorian Cosmetic Institute as your provider of fat-dissolving injections?
At Victorian Cosmetic Institute, we have been using fat-dissolving injections for over a decade. We perform a thorough consultation to assess your suitability. You can phone our Customer Care team on 1300 863 824 or book your consultation online.